Saturday, November 08, 2008

Just a few of the traits that prove my husband's awesomeness.

Awesomeness proving reason #5,347
He's passionate about things he loves.

Reason #5,348
He's no fair-weather fan. That kind of commitment shows in all areas of his life: sports, relationships, work, you name it; if he's committed to it, he'll follow through till the end.

Reason #5,349
I have always known that he will be an incredible father, this is just another confirmation of that fact.

Below is something my husband wrote right after his team won the World Series last week. To help you understand his dedication, you need to realize that here in Scotland we are 5 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. Starting with the playoffs, he watched every single game (he would've watched more during the regular season, but the games weren't broadcast here)and most of those games didn't start until after midnight. So that meant he was up until anywhere from 3-5am for tons of nights (I would know exactly how many nights if I were a better sports fan).

Due to the timing of my mom's departure, we had to be in Glasgow the night that the Phillies would clench the title of World Series Champions. So while my mom and I were sleeping, he had to spend most of the night alone in a hotel lobby. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is.

Enjoy some of his thoughts that he posted on Facebook, and get a tiny glimpse into my world of being a happy wife.

On Wednesday, October 29, the Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series. This was a monumental occasion in my life. At the age of 10 I began to follow the Phillies. My father is from South Philadelphia, growing up in one of its roughest projects. I can remember him taking us to his childhood home when we were young, and thinking that it looked like a war zone. The projects in Richmond look like paradise compared to this place. We used to go to my Grandmothers in one of the better neighborhoods in south Philly. My parents would let me walk around the neighborhood by myself, and I was just mesmerized by this city. We would walk to the local pretzel vendor on the corner and buy pretzels at 4 for a dollar. We could walk to Modells sports, where all the coolest Phillies and eagles gear would be. My grandmother worked at the local toy store, where she earned very little, but would always have gifts for me and my sisters. I think my love for cities came from these experiences.

In 1993 the Phillies went to the world series. On the night that they were to clinch the pennant, I went around the house, got every television I could lift, and put them all in one room, where my dad and uncle would watch as they made there way to the World Series. The night that they lost the world series, I cried my self to sleep. Now fast forward to 2008, myself sitting in the Holiday Inn lobby in Glasgow, Scotland. Brad Lidge strikes out the last batter. I do a fist pump and shout a big "YES!!!!!!!". I then began to cry like a little baby. As many of you will know, Jennifer and I lost a child this summer to miscarriage. It has been a hard last couple of months to say the least. I started to think about what I would have told our kid about the Phillies winning the world series in 2008, how this team was behind 4 games with a month to play. I would talk about Cole Hammels and how he was almost flawless in 5 starts. I would talk about Ryan Howard and his slump, but then how he broke it with two home runs in one game. I would tell of Brad Lidge and how he was perfect for a whole season. I would talk about being able to see the Phillies that summer, watching them in D.C. with our friends from Dornoch, Scotland, and how amazing it was that the two weeks that we were home from Scotland, the Phillies were playing in D.C. I then began to think that I will be able to say these things to the children that God has yet to give us. How great that will be.

My grandmother gave me a pin in 1999, that says "Lets go Phillies". It was my dads as a kid and Its one of the best presents I have ever received. My grandmother passed in 2000, when I was on a mission trip in West Virgina. Her memorial service was at a parlor on Broad street, where as I write this the Phillies are passing by with their victory parade.

God has used all of these experiences, to draw me closer to him, and most importantly show me of my need for my savior. These have also made me into the man I am today, and for that I am truly thankful.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is NOT an 'I told you so', but I've been in his corner for a LONG time!!!

love,
mom

well ok, maybe it is

Anonymous said...

And I cried like a baby after reading this.

Anonymous said...

I did too, Valerie.
Thank-you James for this beautiful window into your heart.