Friday, April 13, 2007

A New Experience For Me

My friend Valerie took me as a guest to Gold's Gym for a Yoga class. She told me how relaxing it was and good for stretching, so I wanted to give it a try. I don't stretch enough after running and had an orthopedic guy tell me I really needed better flexibility, maybe this would help. And I've been super stressed lately from some life issues and really needed to relax.

I love that the lights are low so you don't feel like everyone is looking at you, and in my case, seeing my horrible form. At the beginning the teacher (who is a patient of mine at the dental office. I don't think she recognized me. which is fine for me, sometimes that's a little awkward) asked if anyone was new to yoga. I proudly raised my hand, she was very kind to explain lots of things and tailor the session to newbies like me.

I don't really believe in all that clearing your mind and finding peace within your inner being stuff. I just don't think that it's possible to find that within myself since I'm naturally a chaotic being. I have to look outside of myself and find peace from my Higher Power. But deep breathing and physical wellness is a very needed aspect of one's life. So I definitely benefited from aspects of the class.

I almost disrupted the peace a couple of times. First of all, I really had to pee most of the class, but felt like I would've been thrown out of all yoga classes at Gold's for life if I walked out and came back in. At the very end when we were, "finding that quiet place in our minds" I had to hold back from laughing out loud when she said, "take note of where your body is and give it total acceptance." All I could think about was, "body, I accept you." Like my body was suddenly relieved to hear me give it total acceptance. Maybe you had to be in my mind at the time.

The funniest part of the evening was the sales pitch to get me to join. I realized at many times during the manager's talk, I was looking at her like she had two head's...what a spaz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. This made me laugh. I've never been to a yoga class... I feel like I would totally make a fool of myself by being so inflexible and dorky. It seems like it would be ballet class from third grade all over again...